Varicose Vein Treatment
What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged, rope-like blue vessels under your skin. Though they are not typically serious, varicose veins can cause people to feel uncomfortable. California Vein & Vascular Centers provide Salinas, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Morgan Hill, CA, and surrounding area patients with varicose veins diagnosis and treatment services. Most commonly found on the legs, a clotted varicose vein can lead to phlebitis, a skin condition that becomes hot and painful. California Vein & Vascular Centers is #1 in California for performing the most vein procedures in the state and the top 5 in the nation. We can help you look and feel your very best with our varicose veins treatments.
Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins don’t typically cause any pain unless they become infected or clogged. The most common symptoms of varicose veins include:
- Dark purple or blue veins
- Twisted or bulging veins
If your varicose veins are clogged, symptoms may include:
- Aching legs
- Itching around the veins
- Changes in skin color
- Muscle cramping or swelling in the lower legs
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are often caused by increased pressure in veins. Varicose veins form when veins that regulate blood flow do not function properly and cause blood to pool. Risk factors of varicose veins include:
- Being female
- Leg injury
- Older age
Diagnosing Varicose Veins
Our team performs a physical exam to help diagnose varicose veins. We can often visually diagnose varicose veins. We also can use a Duplex ultrasound to check blood flow and the structure of your surrounding veins.
Varicose Veins Treatment
Varicose veins treatment begins with lifestyle changes, including exercise, wearing compression socks, and avoiding high heels. You may not need any medical treatment unless your varicose veins worsen. We offer multiple types of treatments for varicose veins, including:
- Sclerotherapy – Sclerotherapy is the most common treatment for varicose veins. We inject a saline solution into your varicose veins that causes the lining of the blood vessels to stick together and clog.
- Veinwave – We deliver radio frequency energy with a thin needle to close the damaged veins.
- Vein Stripping – Vein stripping involves removing the vein through a series of tiny cuts. The blood stays flowing in the leg due to other veins taking care of the larger volumes of blood.
- Venefit Procedure – We use the Venefit procedure, an alternative treatment to vein stripping surgery, to effectively treat varicose veins. We use ultrasound guidance to position a catheter into the varicose vein, then deliver radiofrequency (RF) energy to the catheter to heat the vein wall. The collagen in the vein wall shrinks and closes.
- Laser Sclerotherapy – Laser Sclerotherapy uses light beams to irritate problematic veins, causing them to collapse.
- vein therapy utilizes light beams to irritate the wall veins, leading them to collapse.
- VenaSeal – VenaSeal delivers a special adhesive through a catheter. The glue holds the vein walls together to stop and redirect the blood flow.
Learn More About Our Therapies
Sclerotherapy is the most common treatment for varicose veins. We inject a saline solution into your varicose veins that causes the lining of the blood vessels to stick together and clog.
We use the Venefit procedure, an alternative treatment to vein stripping surgery, to effectively treat varicose veins. We use ultrasound guidance to position a catheter into the varicose vein, then deliver radiofrequency (RF) energy to the catheter to heat the vein wall. The collagen in the vein wall shrinks and closes.
Ambulatory phlebectomy is a minimally invasive procedure where our doctor uses small incisions in the skin to remove the identified varicose veins completely. It is an outpatient procedure that our doctors perform in our office as opposed to a surgical setting. This treatment allows our team of medical professionals to target large superficial veins.
How to Prevent Varicose Veins
Varicose veins are challenging for some people to prevent. The best ways to prevent varicose veins from forming include:
- Always prop your feet up when sitting.
- Never cross your legs when sitting.
- Don’t wear tight clothing.
- Keep a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly.
Why Choose California Vein & Vascular Centers?
California Vein & Vascular Centers is California’s premier vascular center. We are known for our superior arteries, veins, and vascular treatments. We serve Los Gatos, Los Altos, Morgan Hill, and Salinas with the highest quality services and customized treatments. Dr. Hardeep S. Ahluwalia and our medical team provide a friendly bedside manner backed with expertise. We are by your side through every step, from your consultation to your treatment.
Serving in the following Locations
• Los Gatos: San Jose, Campbell, Saratoga, Santa Clara Valley, Silicon Valley, the South Bay, the Bay Area, and Santa Clara County.
• Los Altos: Mountain View, Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, San Jose, Silicon Valley, the Peninsula, and the Bay Area.
• Morgan Hill: Gilroy, South San Jose, Silicon Valley, Watsonville, Santa Clara County.
• Salinas: Monterey County, Hollister, Prunedale, Monterey, Pacific Grove, Watsonville, Seaside, Carmel-By-The-Sea, Carmel
Contact Us Today
If you’re suffering from twisted varicose veins, we can help you. We’ll determine the best treatment for your need. We want you to feel your best and live a healthy lifestyle. We treat your vascular and vein issues using our state-of-the-art equipment. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at one of our four convenient locations.